Mom's Thoughts: Faith From the Dust

     I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons or LDS), and I've been reading the last part of the Book of Mormon. I wonder if others feel like weeping when they get to the end, when the Nephites are all killed off and Moroni is the lone survivor because he will not Deny Christ. I just listened to the audio version of Moroni 10, and where Moroni says this: 
Verse 27 And I exhort you to remember these things; for the time speedily cometh that ye shall know that I lie not, for ye shall see me at the bar of God; and the Lord God will say unto you: Did I not declare my words unto you, which were written by this man, like as one crying from the dead, yea, even as one speaking out of the dust?
the phrase crying from the dead stood out to me today. This morning I went on a walk/jog (I'm out of shape, so I don't jog the whole way!) and ended at the little cemetery in my little town. I really like going to cemeteries, because each time I go, I feel changed a bit. In a cemetery, you can't help but think of the most important things, love, family, living your life right etc. What else matters when it comes to life and death? Granted on the way home I thought of my messy house that needs cleaning and the money issues, but while there I had a chance to ponder the vicissitudes of life and the pain of loss as I saw tiny headstones next to larger ones. One family lost 6 babies and young children, six! I am reminded of pioneers and military members, sacrifices of so many, and it makes me see my life differently as well.  After that experience this morning, as I read Moroni's last words to the people in the future who would read it, it made me think of what MY last words would be if I was the last of my people, knowing that in a future day people would read them. What would I say? What are the most important things to me, and if they are the most important things to me, do I show it in my daily walk in this life? I wrote a sort of will awhile ago, but it's not as serious as Moroni's words. I have a hard time thinking of it being real that I could die and my children still be little, but you just never know. Maybe I need to go back over that one and change it a bit. How do people have the faith to go on, pioneers, Moroni, families who lose babies? How do they stay strong in their faith? If I die now, what words of mine would be a blessing or bring pain to those who read them?  These are all things to think and ponder about. Crying from the dead. What do I also wish I could hear from my ancestors, those who didn't write anything? When we are reaching for a relationship with those who have gone before, wanting to feel connected to who we are, what is it I would like to know? Honestly, I want to know what Moroni wrote. I want to know their testimonies, the story of their lives, even if it takes up only a few pages, and I want to know what they wish for me. These are things I should be writing, not just stuff that we do, but who we are inside. Those are my thoughts, which I will edit before publishing for the world to see, but some deep thoughts for your Tuesday. 

Comments

Popular Posts